Monday, April 23, 2007

More Criticism Please


If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace; if you accept criticism, you will be honored. (Proverbs 13:18 NLT)

What do you do with criticism? We don’t like it; seldom welcome it; but often need it; could benefit from it. As I read this verse of scripture, I realize that I am who I am today partly because of my critics. I have had many sleepless nights because of unsolicited criticism. I have often thought to myself, how could they say that, or think that. I have come to appreciate something about critics and criticism; you really can learn something from every criticism, even if it is unjust.

If all we received was praise then we would not be challenged to examine our lives and possibly make changes for the better. There are many things we do simply because we don’t want to be criticized. For example, when you leave your house you clean up and dress appropriately, because you do not want to be criticized. What sports team does not improve because of criticism? Some of our critics really care about us and are criticizing for our good. Others criticize for a variety of other reasons. I have met a few who I believe think the Holy Spirit gave them the gift of criticism, which they practice all the time.

I was told many years ago by a wise person, “we can learn more from our critics then from those who praise us.” Solomon realized this when writing this proverb. He said if you ignore the criticism you will end up in disgrace. Listen to your critics. What are they saying? It could be that you have done nothing wrong or your critic did not have all the facts. But listen to the criticism and allow your heart and mind to be opened to the alternative perspective, after careful consideration and seeing God’s guidance ask yourself, what you could do differently to improve.

If you accept criticism, you will be honored. Live the kind of life that your critics will not be afraid to approach you and share their feelings. What does it mean to accept? It means to receive willingly, to endure without protest. I challenge you to accept your criticism and you will be honored. The next time someone criticizes you, listen carefully to them and then thank them for sharing with you.

God Bless
Pastor Larry

No comments: