Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Healing Words


Words have tremendous power. Think for a moment how powerful your words are. Words can be more powerful then guns and bombs. We need to chose our words carefully and use them with great caution.

Think about this, when you speak, are you speaking for your good or the good of another? Many of our critical and cutting remarks are spoken for our own satisfaction, wanting to give someone a piece of our mind. However, when we speak what I call “healing words”, they are for another’s good.

Proverbs 12:18 (NLT) Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing. Sometimes I find myself being critical, unfortunately I tend to direct it mostly towards my kids. I want the very best for them, and I try to motivate them by words of constructive criticism. When we are being critical we might have the best intentions, but our words still cut and hurt. If you examine yourself, you will find those times you have spoken with a critical tone or critical words, it makes you feel better that you said them. However, it hurts those to whom the remarks are directed towards.


The wisdom of this proverb is so true. I have seen words cut people down and hurt them in ways fists could not. I have also seen the healing power of words. I have seen a child crying and a mother comfort him with just a few words. I have been in the hospital during a time of tragedy, and have seen the healing power of words through prayer.

Your words are like having a tool box in your mouth with two kinds of tools. First, there are tools that demolish, cut, teardown and hurt. Secondly, there are tools that build up, and bring healing. Every time you open your tool box (your mouth) you decide which tools you will take out and use. If the only tool you reach for is a hammer, then every problem will look like a nail. The wise person uses healing tools.

Lord help me to bring comfort and encouragement and healing with my words. Psalms 19:14 (NKJV) Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.


Pastor Larry

No comments: